Old General Library
The Old General Library opened in 1883. The completion of this library building marked the first time the University of Michigan had a building dedicated to its Library, which was necessary to accommodate the growing collection and rising University population.
Before the Old General Library was built, the University Library was kept in the Law Building. In that space, only 6% of the University’s students could fit in the library at a time. A lecture hall sat above the reading room, causing noise and other disturbances several times a day. Furthermore, the Library was not in a fireproof building, which was dangerous for the 30,000-volume collection.
“If our library were destroyed, small as it is, it would be difficult, indeed almost impossible, to replace it,” wrote a group of University administrators to the Board of Regents, when making their case for a new Library building.
New General Library