The Shapiro Design Lab seeks submissions from undergraduate and graduate students for its new Process Gallery, located on the first floor of the Shapiro Undergraduate Library. The Process Gallery foregrounds the creative process in all the forms it takes, giving students the opportunity to find collaboators and inspire others with your work.
Some possible examples (though many more are possible) of work that could be in the Process Gallery:
- Preliminary sketches
- Workflow diagrams
- Drafts of texts
- Test prints
- Working prototypes/models
- Visualizations and animations
There are only a few requirements to show your work in the Gallery.
- Be a current undergraduate or graduate student at the University of Michigan.
- Draft an engaging text to accompany the work you show (see “Accompanying Statement” below). We’re happy to work with you on this text.
- Respect intellectual property. If your work involves materials whose rights are owned by someone else, let’s see if it falls under “Fair Use.”
- Mounting material used must be easily put up and removed (tape, Command Strips, etc). The Design Lab can provide these materials. If you need access to large-format printing, please let us know in your application and we can help offset those costs.
When you’re ready to apply for a spot in the Process Gallery, please fill out this Google Form. Submissions are accepted on a rolling basis and work accepted for the Gallery will be displayed for two weeks at a time. If you have questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.